Sunday 16 October 2011

Chapter 20 - In which problems are rectified, and I make a temperature sensor the professional way

Its been a while since my last post. This is due to having had a week away in Scotland, but also due to progress being slow. I have however made some progress.

Firstly I changed the angle of the X-axis endstop. I had test-fitted the extruder body, and found the endstop was in the way. There is a conveniently provided little square protrusion on the side of the carriage, and the contact of the realigned endstop sits nicely on it.

I then proceeded to fit the print bed. I had spotted this post on the forum, and decided to make the upgrade now rather than later. I had also got lots of peg springs just waiting for a use. I have used countersunk screws to mount the bed, but only because they were the only ones I could get with the correct length. There are washers under the heads to prevent the screws pulling into the bed and cracking it.



The bed is fairly level as it is, but I may tighten up the nuts to compress the springs, making the bed firmer and less prone to wobble. This has the added advantage of giving some extra Z height.



I had ordered some replacement bolts to hobb, as the previous one was too narrow. Once they turned up, I spent an evening in the garage attempting to hobb one of them. It was much harder going than the previous bolt - maybe these are made of something harder? I was also trying to hobb with an M6 tap as opposed to an M3, to give bigger teeth on the bolt. I just couldn't get it to cut the teeth correctly, and it left an un-cut section in the middle of the bolt. I ended up getting very frustrated with it, and walked away trying to decide how to go about making one properly.

I came back to it a week or so later, and had a proper look in the daylight. The hobbing down one side looked pretty good, and fairly even. I figured that I could probably space the bolt such that the good section was doing the driving.



I put the extruder back together, and was pleasantly surprised to find that the good section was in the correct place already. Better than that, it had enough grip to drive feedstock without the idler in place! Whilst working on the extruder, I also moved the motor and fitted the bolts that will mount the extruder to the X-carriage. I reassembled the extruder and idler, and repositioned the motor to get the best interface between the gears.



I also had the time to make up the hot-end temperature sensor. I constructed this in a similar manner to how professional temperature sensors are made. Firstly I soldered the ends to the stripped ends of the PTFE wire:



I then used high-temperature heat-shrink sleeving to insulate one leg, all the way from the small joint at the thermistor head to past the solder join:



I shrunk the sleeving with the kind help of my girlfriend and her crafting hot air gun:



I then used a larger diameter piece of the same sleeving to cover the entire assembly, from a point past the thermistor head to past the remaining soldered joint.




Lastly I trimmed the overhanging sleeving close to the bead. This assembly method should provide a robust and short circuit-free sensor for the hot end.

And Thats all the I've managed to achieve. Next up: The long-awaited hot-end post?

No comments:

Post a Comment