Friday 30 September 2011

Chapter 19 - In which there is life!

I've been spending a lot of time recently working on the hot-end, but I'm saving the writeup until I have it completed and can make a whole post.

In the meantime, I've made small amounts of progress in other areas.

I have completed the wiring of the stepper motors for the axes. I wired them all the same, and consequently had to invert the direction in the firmware. I have also resisted cutting down the motor cables for any of the motors. I feel like I might need them longer later, in case I want to swap a motor or something. I realise this is unlikely. I'll cut them down later, if I can get the courage to. In the meantime, the excess cable is neatly bundled with the motors, or on the frame.

Once I had all the motors wired up, I fired up ReplicatorG to move the axes and check the direction was correct. I encountered a strange bug, wherein the axes wouldn't move properly under manual control, sometimes only moving a short distance, and other times moving in reverse. Also sometime multiple axes moved at once! I don't know if this will effect the operation of the machine when printing, but I didn't like it.

I went off and installed Pronterface instead. After the fun I had with sprinter, I was expecting to have some trouble with Pronterface, but was pleasantly surprised. The install guide is concise, but it works perfectly. Printerface needs almost no configuration, and is very quick - I like it! Comes with built in skienforge support too, which is nice. Infact I then went off and got Sfact too, as the pair seem to go together well (pronterface has some sfact-exclusive options).

More recently I have added the endstops to the axes. I'm using microswitches, and they had arms on them:


I popped them into the vice, and sawed off the arms - careful to avoid sawing off the switch!


I decided on locations for the endstops. They are configured as being at the minimum end of the axis in firmware, and so this translates to Y being at the front, the X being at the left, and the Z at the bottom. I played around with locations for a while before marking up the brackets.


I attached the endstops to the brackets with hot glue, as the screwholes were in the wrong places. Each bracket was then fitted to the axis with an M3x25 screw, with a couple of plain washers and a spring washer.  I added some insulating tape to the Y axis terminal, so that it didn't short to the frame.


Once the endstops were installed, I wired them to the plugs and routed the cables along the frame.

I powered on the machine, and tested the endstops. I moved the axis out a long way, and then told it to return. As it was moving I activated the switch. All 3 axes worked ok, stopping the moment the switch was pressed. I then told Pronterface to "Home" the axes. It was pretty scary to watch, as the axes drove themselves into the stops:


In other news, I ordered some filament from Faberdashery. When I tried to load it into the extruder, disaster struck! The hobbed section of my bolt is too narrow, and the filament is too rigid to come into contact with it, regardless of how much pressure is applied by the idler.

I have to hobb a new bolt. I have ordered some M8 by 60 shoulder bolts from ebay, and will hobb the shoulder with an M6 tap - if I can work out a way to do it.

Next up: not sure. Maybe the hot end.

No comments:

Post a Comment