Saturday 2 July 2011

Chapter 0 - the prologue

First off, welcome to my new blog! I've had various websites over the years, but never a blog - please ignore the mess as I get settled in.



This blog will principally serve to document my reprap build, any improvements I make to it, and the things that I'll eventually print. Many of you reading will know reprap inside out by now, but for those of you who don't the reprap project sets out to design a low-cost 3d printer that is capable of printing its own parts – hence replicating itself. I stumbled across the website last year, while looking at 3d printing for use in my other hobbies (model building and wargaming) and thought it looked interesting, then moved on.



I came back to it a couple of weeks ago, and the idea of actually going out and building one has been growing ever since. I've had a good look though the wiki, and decided that not only is it within my capabilities to build, but also decided on an initial configuration.



I love making things and following instructions, and always have. I currently work in manufacturing, and have been assembling scientific equipment for nearly 5 years. Consequently I am not anticipating any major worries with the build of the machine itself, nor the electronics package. What worries me slightly is the firm- and software side. I have a little experience with coding etc, so I hope to muddle through, but don't be surprised if I turn up on the forums asking for help.



Onto the initial configuration:



Machine: Prusa mendel. The Prusa is a fairly new addition to the line of machines, and wasn't present when I first came across the project. I had considered purchasing the eMaker huxley kit, but it looked like I might have to wait more than 6 months before I got my kit. I figured I could have a self-sourced machine up and running before that, and I might even learn something along the way. I hadn't looked at the full Mendel build instructions before settling on a Prusa, but now that I have I'm glad I went for the Prusa – it seems to be a lot more simple to build.



Electronics package: Sanguinololu. I don't really know why I chose this one. I guess it appealed to me, especially as it is a single board solution with very little SMD soldering required. There is an ebay source for stepstick stepper drivers, so I might use those for a completely open-source electronics package.



Heated bed: none. The initial configuration will be building on acrylic, with blue 2090 decorators tape to hold the corners down. I wanted to keep the initial build fairly simple, and I don't have a source for any flat aluminum etc yet.



Extruder: Wade's. I intend to purchase a set of Prusa parts from Nophead, via ebay. This kit comes with the parts for Wade's geared extruder, so I'll use that for starters. I want my machine to give the best possible resolution and high detail prints, so one of the first upgrades I make will probably be to print and fit the mini-extruder. Using the 1.75mm filament and smaller nozzle ought to improve the print resolution and quality.



Hot end: ?? Here I have run into a bit of a problem. I have yet to come across a design for a hot end that doesn't require a lathe, which I don't have. I don't see this as a deal-breaker though, and am currently looking at other options.



Firmware: Sprinter. Because it's recommended for use on the sanguinololu board.



Endstops: Microswitch. At least for the moment. I may upgrade to opto's later.



Software: “reprap host software”. Again, this is a “for the moment” type of choice. I have no doubt that I'll end up trying several software packages and toolchains until I find something that works and I like.



Power supply: xbox 360 psu. Cos they're fairly cheap, but mostly because Adrian used one for his Prusa build.



Building a complete Bill of Materials is proving a bit tricky, as I keep realising I need to add more bits.



I guess that's it for the introduction. The initial configuration is bound to change, as I find things that work and ones that don't. Next up – lets start buying things!

2 comments:

  1. Laurence, I'm watching this blog with interest ! I too have been umming and erring about building one of these for wargaming and model making. Just yesterday I discovered the Prusa and decided that it fit my search because it was slightly cheaper and easier to build that the medndel.

    I wargame in 15mm and 28mm and hope to print some 28mm terrain/buildings - I suspect the defenition wont be detailed enough for 15mm but I won't know until I try.

    Good luck with your build, I hope to learn from any mistakes you make :) I'm hanging on before making any purchases as I need to sit down and cost everything before I start. The Mrs will no doubt have a few things to say about the cost....

    Buks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul. I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw the potential for making mini's and terrain with their own 3D printer. I went for a Prusa because as mentioned above I could have it quicker (I notice that the eMaker kit has come down in lead time now, but I don't regret it - I'm having loads of fun building this!). I'm glad I did go for the Prusa now, as the build bed is much bigger.

    I have got bits of collections in 28 and 6mm, as well as some 1/300 aircraft and a load of non-scale spacecraft. I have just started 15mm sci-fi as well, so I really have a bit of everything.

    I'm hoping to eventually be able to print ground vehicles and the like in 15mm, and maybe even a dropship or 2, along with any scenery I can devise. We'll see how far I get once it's up and running.

    Concerning budgets, I had initially aimed to bring this in at or less than the cost of the eMaker kit, around £355 - excluding any tooling etc. I haven't gone back and added everything up, but I don't think I've overspent yet....

    ReplyDelete