Sunday 17 July 2011

Chapter 7 - In which I find a problem

It seems like the superglue is holding, but I haven't tried to remove the bottom plate from the axis yet - I figured I'd give the glue some more time. What I did do however was slide the plate up and down the axis. Primarily this was to check the bushings ran smoothly, but it showed up something else interesting.

This is the right hand corner of the carriage at the front of it's travel:


This is the back right hand side of the carriage at the far end of it's travel. Note the spacing of the plate from the vertex:


The Y axis is misaligned. I had measured and checked and rechecked the spacing of the smooth rods on the rear rod, but apparently not well enough. Although not a big misalignment (somewhere in the order of 0.5 to 0.75mm), it is certainly noticeable when moving the carriage.

I adjusted both the smooth rods on the rear rod by the same amount, to keep them parallel. This is the rear right hand corner after adjustment:


Much better. This step of checking the alignment is definitely worth it.

5 comments:

  1. Laurence,

    Wow - looking good. Good advice on checking and rechecking measurements. I'll probably make a jig (I think thats what they are called) to check correct lengths. I've bought a bar and fastener set off ebay for £38 inc. p&p so hopefully will start my build at the weekend. I'm particularly interested in your electronics build as well as the hot end stuff. I'm in contact with someone in Leeds who is co-building a prusa and has designed their own electronics kit so will be asking them for advice - I have never held a soldering iron before.....

    Keep updating !

    Buks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Buks, glad to hear you have some bits ordered. Have you started to build yet? I'll be sure to post about the electronics build, as it's getting into territory that I'm not as familiar with - hopefully it will all go well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurence,

    I have indeed started my build - only to discover the the fastener set I bought didn't include bearings (my fault as I didnt read the description carefully). So I've stalled until they arrive via ebay. I'm probably going to purchase a ready built Sanguiniololu board - there was one on ebay until last night for £115 including mechanical switches. But that will have to wait until next month probably.

    Habe you thought about a hot end yet ?

    Buks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buks,

    £115 for the board seems a bit steep to me. emaker has a kit for £40 (unsoldered, apart from the surface-mount part), and a fully assembled RAMPS for around £40 as well - http://www.emakershop.com/browse.php?catid=3

    I managed to ebay a ten-pack of bearings for less than £4, so that's probably a good way to go.

    I think I have a complete plan for my hot end now, and I should be able to make it without any machine tools bar a power drill (fingers crossed). I probably won't start to build it until I have the electronics working though, so I can check it extrudes.

    Laurence

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers Laurence. XYZ Printers have a kit for 46 euros which is tempting (http://www.xyzprinters.com/sanguinololu/125-sl-complete-kit-preorder.html) although its out of stock at the moment. The link you supplied is for a board from the US which I'm trying to avoid as I've been hit with customs charges in the past which makes cheap stuff suddenly more expensive ! Also I've looked at RAMPS and you need to add another £35 or so for the arduino board which is why I was thinking about going for the £115 Sanguiniololu which comes with just about everything (like endstops).

    I'm still researching so will let you know what I end up going for.

    I'm deffo going for a pre-built hot end as I really don't like the look of the home-made ones - I would no doubt end up getting an electric shock having wired it up wrong !

    Buks

    ReplyDelete