Sunday 10 July 2011

Chapter 4 - In which I get frustrated at B&Q, and the postman has a busy day

So a lot of stuff has been turning recently - the postman had 5 parcels for me the other day! I think I now have all of the parts to start building the frame.

So what turned up? Firstly we have the frame washers. This is a 100 pack from ebay:



Next we have the M8x30 (fender/mudguard) washers. I got a 20 pack, again from ebay, so as to have some spares etc.



M8 nuts. Again a 100 pack, again from ebay.



'608 skate bearings', 10 off. I know I only need 6, but again I wanted a spare or 2. I may also want to build a new extruder somewhere down the line. Did I mention I really like ebay for these sorts of things?



Whilst on the hunt for fasteners etc, I figured I'd get the bolt needed for Wade's extruder. Turns out it's really tricky to get hold of an M8x50 shoulder bolt here. I haven't been able to find them anywhere I've looked (oh ebay, you've let me down :-( ).  I eventually resorted to spending 20 or so minutes looking at every M8 bolt I could find on the shelf at B&Q (I had to go back with my girlfriend, after one of the lampshades we got last week while hunting for threaded rod turned out to be damaged). I came away dissapointedly with a standard M8x50 bolt. I'll see what I can do with it when I come to making the extruder.


The other 4 parcels contained the hot end parts I mentioned in my last post. I'll put up photos etc later on, in a dedicated hot end post - I've got a plan, I just need to bring it all together.

"Next time on 'forays into 3d': Building the frame!"

No comments:

Post a Comment